The Toyota Tacoma makes for a great camping/overland platform to build on since it’s extremely reliable and just the right size for tight dirt trails. It’s no longer considered a small truck if you buy a 2005 and up model and the V6 engine is powerful enough to haul a light camper trailer. Besides camping trips, we use our double cab Tacoma as our main family vehicle and grocery-getter.
Check out this quick list of modifications and additions I’ve performed on my truck. Most were done specifically for camping and overland trips to make us as self-reliant as possible.
Truck Specs: 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport V6 | Double Cab, Long Bed
Miles: 93,000 as of 3/23/18.
Current Mods & Additions:
- Softopper camper shell
- On-board water pressure system
- Bed-rail QuickFist mounts for shovel, ax, hi-lift jack, and other accessories.
- Interior LED light upgrade
- BajaRack heavy duty roof rack
- Weathertech floor mats
- OME 3-inch suspension lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and Dakar leaf springs
- Custom seat covers
- Level 6 MKII custom wheels
- Cooper AT3 4S tires
Truck Camping/Overlanding Accessories & Recovery Gear
- VAIR air compressor to inflate tires after airing down tires when offroading
- Tire deflator
- Hi-Lift Jack
- TRED traction boards
- First-Aid kit
- Recovery Straps/Shackles
- Tool bag with basic items for truck repair
Wanted/Upcoming Mods & Accessories
- Light bar, hood lights
- Rock sliders
- Extended rear shocks and brake lines
- Backup/reverse camera
- Dedicated bed lights under softopper
Amazon Associates Disclosure
Dirt N’ Smores is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.